santa clara whizzer

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
m11stephen2
Yankee Clipper

Post by m11stephen2 »

What was it used for until it was demolished.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Are you asking about the Whizzer station after the coaster was removed? It just stood there -- empty, unused, and largely ignored -- until it was torn down.

Steven
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

So the land and the station were unused for like 2 years or was the skyride thingy put in right away?
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

Post by PGA ROCKS »

redfishpaw wrote:Thanks for the photo Steven. I think they should remove Xtreme Skyflyer and put in a coaster. There seems to be a lot of space here which could be utilized better.
I disagree with Skyflyer being removed. I have rode it, and it's out of this world. I've done it six times. But they should get rid of Vortex, move Skyflyer there, and put a coaster in the old Whizzer site. But they should keep Skyflyer. Man, it seems like SC is taking out all the Marriott rides. Next thing you know, Demon will be gone! :cry:
I miss Tidal Wave
m11stephen2
Yankee Clipper

Post by m11stephen2 »

PGA ROCKS wrote:
redfishpaw wrote:Thanks for the photo Steven. I think they should remove Xtreme Skyflyer and put in a coaster. There seems to be a lot of space here which could be utilized better.
I disagree with Skyflyer being removed. I have rode it, and it's out of this world. I've done it six times. But they should get rid of Vortex, move Skyflyer there, and put a coaster in the old Whizzer site. But they should keep Skyflyer. Man, it seems like SC is taking out all the Marriott rides. Next thing you know, Demon will be gone! :cry:
Yeah I know, it seems like sfgam is keeping a lot more marriot rides. Its a good thing Willard liked the gurnee site better.
Great America Guy
Buzzy Bee

Post by Great America Guy »

redfishpaw wrote:SC Whizzer footings photo
http://www.srcphotography.com/gallery/d ... -40&pos=25
Sad pictures. I'm so glad we still have our Whizzer; but who knows for how much longer. :?
Shockwavegirl
Yankee Clipper

Post by Shockwavegirl »

Six Flags won't get rid of Whizzer until it is dead. Too much of an uproar over the possiblity of losing it for S:UF, sadly, the public was less worried about SW eventual demise than that of Whizzer. I am sure it will be around for many years to come. Although S:UF would've been cool over the pond, I can see why we wouldn't want to get rid of a classic to do so.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Another photo showing Whizzer footings
:arrow: http://www.tow.com/scripts/photo2.php?u ... 536-18.jpg
pjm8071
Gulf Coaster

Post by pjm8071 »

The Whizzer pictures are great. It's very odd to see Whizzer with no ramp going up the lift. I've been up there so many times for downtimes. I assume they never needed to go up there before the ramp was installed. I also heard while I worked there that they used to run with 5 trains. Even with all the extra brakes, that were eventually removed it seems like a lot for such a short track. Did it cause any problems running with that many trains? :?
Sing it Rev Bolin... Can I get an AWW YEAH!
pjm8071
Gulf Coaster

Post by pjm8071 »

This looks like a similar design to Whizzer. Anybody know the story behind it... Where did it come from? Why build it but never open it? Did it get scrapped. I love learning the history of parks I would someday hope to visit.

http://amusementpics.com/GA%20Rides/Mis ... %20026.jpg
Sing it Rev Bolin... Can I get an AWW YEAH!
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

http://www.rcdb.com/cm16.htm

Check out the Jet Star, Jet Star 2, Jet Star 3/ Jumbo Jet, the Speed Racer/ Extended Jumbo Jet, and the City Jet
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
Morgansupertech
Gulf Coaster

Post by Morgansupertech »

I can tell you exactly what the deal is with the Whizzer now. The sign is still in the park, it's in the coaster shop hanging on the wall. The cement footings are still there, the Event Tent is right next to them. They are still in the middle of that little pond that smells like poo, every once in a while we throw something into the pond just for kicks. 5 gallon water jugs, PVC pipes… There is a black cat that lives on the little island in the middle of the pond, I'm not sure if he ever leaves it.